To All Club Contacts
As you are all aware the “COVID-19” Virus has changed the way in which we will be running Club Rugby for the 2020 Season after NZR advised yesterday that all rugby matches (including pre-season games) are postponed until Saturday, 18 April.
We have decided as a Union to front foot this and make a decision early on how Club Rugby will operate from this date, bearing in mind this is all SUBJECT TO CHANGE over the coming days or weeks depending on NZ Rugby updates.
CLUB RUGBY – DRAW
Currently the Senior Competition remains unaffected as the start date for that is set down for April 25th 2020.
The decision on the Premier Competition will be as follows : –
The first 2 games will not be played (highlighted in red) as per NZR directive. The next 3 games on the 18th April, 25th April & first week in May (highlighted in green) to be played, but to be non-Championship matches – e.g. No points. Thereafter the official Competition will be run over 2 Full Rounds home & away starting on the 9th of May 2020 (this remains unchanged). This is the best and fairest option to run the Competition, bearing in mind there is still a possibility that this may change again in the coming days/weeks if the situation worsens.
|11th April 2020||EASTER WEEKEND||NO GAMES|
|18th April 2020||Marist||v||Ruapehu||Spriggens Park|
|25th April 2020||Taihape||v||Ngamatapouri||Taihape 1|
|1st May 2020||Border||v||Ngamatapouri||Waverley|
|2nd May 2020||Ruapehu||v||Taihape||Ohakune|
NZR DIRECTED GUIDELINES
The restrictions do not prevent clubs from operating on their facilities, with NZR and WRFU urging clubs to adhere to Ministry of Health regulations in this regard; these include:
- Non-contact training activities can continue with sensible hygiene protocols observed.
- At this stage, full-contact training can resume from Monday, 13 April
- Use personal water bottles – don’t share with others
- Ensure rugby equipment is regularly cleaned (e.g. hit shields, balls etc)
- Maintaining fitness is encouraged – please see link below ‘RUGBY TOOLBOX’ for drills and skills that can be used to help keep your players engaged and active.
- Registering for rugby can continue online
- Coach, referee and education activities will continue after 13 April
- Stay at home if you are experiencing flu like symptoms
- Regularly washing hands with soap (recommended) or an antibacterial wash
- Covering coughs and sneezes
- School and junior club rugby commence after 18 April so are not included in this postponement
- Follow the Ministry of Health Guidelines: www.health.govt.nz
- Do what is best for you and your communities to keep them safe and healthy
We appreciate this is an unprecedented step being taken for community rugby; however, this decision has been made solely with the safety and wellbeing of our participants, families and the wider community in mind.
NON CONTACT TRAINING
NZR have specifically stipulated NON-CONTACT TRAINING until the 13th of April. If any Club decides to go against this directive, please be very mindful that you are putting, not just yourselves but your families, friends and our community at risk, which includes vulnerable people such as children and the elderly. Please think twice before going against this directive!!
Coaches will need to register to the site and from there they can see drills and skills.
“When you open up a box of tools you want to grab the things you need to get the job done right. That’s how Rugby Toolbox works. If you’re involved with Rugby, here’s where you’ll find all the online tools and resources you’ll need to get the job done on and off the field. From Skills & Drills to Fitness and Training plans, it’s all here – ready for participants of all levels to create, use and share.”
THE SITE IS FREE TO ACCESS – BUT IF YOU WANT TO SAVE DRILLS, THE FITNESS PROGRAMMES OR GET THE NEWSLETTER, YOU WILL NEED TO LOG ON.
Please print off and place in Changing Rooms and Bathrooms and encourage all of your Players and Rugby Community to follow guidelines.
We trust you can understand that the health of our rugby community is our priority and the guidelines stipulated above are adhered to.
Paul (PK) Kenny
CLUB DEVELOPMENT OFFICER