New Zealand Rugby Update: COVID-19 Community Rugby

Good evening everyone,

I trust that you are all safe and well in your bubbles.  The team at Wanganui Rugby are thinking of you and your family during this difficult and uncertain period.  The staff and I are all working from home putting plans in place to make sure we are ready to go when we have the green light to proceed with any rugby activity again.  As previously advised, Club Rugby is one of our major priorities so I will be sending a survey out tomorrow, to one of your main Club contacts, to get a more detailed insight into how Covid-19 has impacted your Club.

In times like this it is imperative that communication with you our rugby community continues so please find attached NZR’s most recent Rugby update.

Most of you would be aware of today’s announcement by our Government around remaining at Level 4 until 11.59pm on Monday the 27th of April with the country going to Level 3 for at least another two weeks.

Under Covid-19 Alert Level 3 all Club, School and Community Rugby remains postponed.  At Level 3 the Wanganui Rugby Union staff will continue to work from home and can be contacted via emails or on their mobiles.

We are in regular contact with NZ Rugby and we will continue to keep you informed on any further updates.  We are keen to get rugby up and running again when it is safe to do so and will continue to be guided by our Government and NZ Rugby on what that looks like for us all.

NZR are currently working on a Community Rugby – Return to Rugby Protocol which will be guidelines on what we can & can’t do as far as rugby activity is concerned at each of the Alert Levels 2 and Level 1.  We will send that through to you all, as soon as that is confirmed.

Please get in touch with me if you have any questions whatsoever.


Kindest regards
Bridget Belsham

New Zealand Rugby Update: COVID-19 Community Rugby
Participation in New Zealand

21 April 2020

New Zealand Rugby continues to monitor Government’s COVID-19 updates and Alert Level changes with a view to how they will impact club, school and community rugby. While the New Zealand Government’s decision to move to COVID-19 Alert Level 3 is a positive step we need to remain vigilant in the fight against the global pandemic. Under COVID-19 Alert Level 3 all club, school and community rugby remains postponed. This postponement includes trainings, workshops and the closure of rugby clubs.

We know people are eager to be back on the grass, but the well-being of our players, coaches, referees, volunteers, supporters and our wider New Zealand community is the top priority.

New Zealand Rugby continues to work closely with the Ministry of Health and Sport New Zealand on Return to Rugby protocols for the 2020 season.

We are presently working through what rugby activity can occur under Alert Level 2 and we will provide more guidance on this as soon as possible.

For a return to rugby, we will take our lead from the Ministry of Health in determining when COVID-19 Alert Levels are once again at a safe level for sport.

We thank the rugby community for following Government advice to stay home and playing their part to protect New Zealanders.

Maintaining mental and physical fitness is encouraged as we continue to prepare for the return of rugby. For helpful ideas, tips and resources visit This is a challenging time for everyone and it’s important to keep in touch with your teammates, whanau and loved ones. For advice on how you can tackle the tough times visit

To stay informed on how Rugby is responding to the pandemic visit You can also find regular updates by following New Zealand Rugby on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.