Wanganui Club Rugby – Update

Good evening everyone,

As you will know, the Prime Minister this afternoon confirmed that the move to Alert Level 2 will occur on Thursday for most business operations and community functions, with schools re-opening on Monday.

A limit of 10 has been placed on gatherings to contain the risk present when larger groups congregate. Like you, we tuned into today’s press conference to understand the latest developments in what is a very fluid situation.

NZ Rugby are now seeking clarification on the implication of today’s information on what that means for rugby.

Until we can provide further clarity there is to be no non-contact or contact training. We are hopeful of receiving updated guidelines and protocols by early next week and these will be forwarded to you as soon as they are received by us.

We know there is a desire from a lot of you to get back to playing rugby as soon as possible and also the anxiety around returning too soon and the limitations at Level 2 around after-match functions and spectator numbers.

Keeping this in mind, we want you to know that we have the best intentions and although we cannot be sure of anything right now, we want to give you a date in which we wish to start our Club Rugby competition – being the 4th of July.

This is a 10 week round robin competition with Semi-Finals and Finals – being the 19th of September.

Please see below (Download Click Here) a new Club Rugby draw, for your information.

This will hopefully give you, your Players & Coaches something to work towards and get excited about!

The decision around this date has been made due to the following reasons:

    • The health & safety of our community continues to be the priority and we want to ‘Play it Safe’.
    • We want to ensure our Clubs are fully prepared to meet all of the health & safety guidelines imposed by the Ministry of Health & NZ Rugby.  The Union will be providing support and guidance around these requirements and are investigating the provision of Hygiene Packs to Clubs to assist with meeting the relevant hygiene protocols.
    • We want to ensure Coaches & Players have a good amount of time to prepare properly so that we have a competitive Club Rugby competition.
    • We want to give Coaches & Players time to settle back into their work and rugby routines so that they can fully enjoy rugby again.
    • Due to the risk of more change in the coming weeks, we opted for the 4th of July, in the hope that by that date, there is reduced restrictions from what is currently required so that Clubs can open their bars and generate much needed income, which is something we know our Clubs rely on to survive.

NZ Rugby is working on a number of resources, in consultation with Provincial Unions and these will be sent to you in due course.

In the meantime, if you have any questions whatsoever, please don’t hesitate to contact me.


Kindest regards

Bridget Belsham